Cinema and Audience Research Project

Login →

Albion Park Literary Institute

Venue Summary
Name Albion Park Literary Institute
Address Tongarra Road , Albion Park, New South Wales 2527
Operation Dates 1929-01-05 - 1959-12-12
Capacity 340
Suburban/Country Country
Purpose Institute
Screens 1
Venue Comments

A permanent cinema began operation at this venue under lease from the Albion Park Literary Institute in 1929. "Talkies" were introduced in the same year. The cinema traded on a regular basis until its closure in 1959 forced, according to Parkinson (1995, p. 118) as a result of the leaser, now Shellharbour Council, wishing to demolish the aging hall.

From the late 1940s until closure the business was controlled by Wollongong Theatres Ltd.

Parkinson, R 1995, Gauffered Velour: a history of motion picture exhibition and picture theatres in the Illawarra district of New South Wales, 1897-1994, Australian Theatre Historical Society, Campbelltown, NSW.

Venue Events
Event Date Name of Venue Address Latitude /
Capacity Suburban Purpose Screens
1929-01-05 Albion Park Literary Institute Tongarra Road
Albion Park
New South Wales 2527
340 Country Institute 1