Cinema and Audience Research Project

Login →

Albion Park Centenary Hall

Venue Summary
Name Albion Park Centenary Hall
Address Tongarra Road, Albion Park, New South Wales 2527
Operation Dates 1960-03-01 - 1964-01-01
Capacity 570
Suburban/Country Country
Purpose Hall
Screens 1
Venue Comments

The Centenary Hall was built by the Shellharbour Council to replace the aging Literary Institute which had operated as a cinema since 1929. The lease for the exhibition of film was taken up by local businessman Mr H. Wallace. Wallace continued to screen on a weekly basis until 1964 (Film Weekly Motion Picture Directory 1964 - 1965; Parkinson 1995, p. 118).

An attempt by to reopen the cinema in 1967 by Oak Flat exhibitor, Mr Collis, was stymied by the council who refused to lease the hall on the grounds that a regular exhibition of films would interfere with other entertainments (Parkinson 1995, p. 118).

“Film Weekly Motion Picture Directory”, Film Weekly, Sydney, 1936 – 1971.

Parkinson, R 1995, Gauffered Velour: a history of motion picture exhibition and picture theatres in the Illawarra district of New South Wales, 1897-1994, Australian Theatre Historical Society, Campbelltown, NSW

Venue Events
Event Date Name of Venue Address Latitude /
Capacity Suburban Purpose Screens
1960-03-01 Centenary Hall Tongarra Road
Albion Park
New South Wales 2527
570 Country Hall 1